Sorcery & Cecelia {book review} and my summer reading

It's been a bit, so I think it's time for a good ol' book review. :) I'm making my summer reading list, and I need suggestions. I've added a few from Amy's list at The Idea Room -- what's on your summer reading list? Details of my list after the review...
image via Amazon

Sorcery & Cecelia 
*or* The Enchanted Chocolate Pot
Being the Correspondence of Two Young Ladies of Quality Regarding Various Magical Scandals in London and the Country
by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer


The girls might think it all a magical nightmare . . . if only they weren't having so much fun.

Sorcery & Cecelia is the story of two cousins and best friends, Kate and Cecelia, and, as the subtitle suggests, their adventures one summer with magic. One is in London and the other is in the country, and the story unfolds through their letters to each other. My friend who recommended the book described it as Jane Austen meets Harry Potter, and I completely agree -- the society of Austen meets the everyday magic of wizards that we (or at least I) loved in Harry Potter.

And, a fun fact: the letters in the book were originally letters between authors Wrede and Stevermer, written as a creative writing exercise. They make a great book!

Final word: A. This was the most enjoyable book I have read in a long time. The correspondence is easy to follow, and the book is just plain FUN. I stayed up late one night to finish it and the next morning my husband said, "So it's one of those books, huh? You just HAVE to finish it, have to know how it ends?" to which I responded, "Nope, I was just enjoying reading it so much that I didn't WANT to go to sleep!"

And now, my summer reading list:
  • The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis (which I started well over a year ago...)
  • Love in a Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marqez (started and never finished)
  • The Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright (because I bought it 2 years ago and haven't read it yet)
  • Stardust by Neil Gaiman (love the movie...)
  • The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (because of Jocelyn)
You might notice that these are all grown-up books... as in, they use biggish words and are over 160 pages. That is definitely not typical of my reading (see the reviews here and everything I've read on goodreads), but I've been in a funk when it comes to my traditional fare, so please recommend some great kids books (or other books)!

What are you reading this summer?

5 comments:

Heather said...

If you haven't read dealing with dragons by patricia wrede also, you should. She is one of my very most favorite authors. The other 2 or 3 three books in this series are also good reads. I am so glad you enjoyed it.

Andi said...

I have never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. Right now I'm reading 3 very different books, Catching Fire (of the hunger games series), Awakened (of the house of night series), and decision points. ;-) So far I am enjoying them all! I plan on reading goose girl and the help also this summer.

Amy DM said...

I don't really have a list for the summer--not to mention it's nearly winter here-- but I've added this one to my 'list'. Sadly, I can't find it here but I'll put it on my 'to be read' list for when I'm in the States.

Debra Hawkins said...

I really want to read this now. Gee, thanks. Imagine that, wanting to read a book my library doesn't carry. :)

Nick and Keira said...

^ Debra is so dang funny every time she gets on here!!! :)

I highly recommend "The Screwtape Letters"--C.S. Lewis might be my favorite author ever :) I also have always loved "The Hiding Place", but I am a weird fan of WWII/Holocaust books. Instead of being terribly depressing, this book is incapable of being pulled into depression, but is very optimistic about the trials we face in life, and how to meet them with faith. She is a Christian being punished for her kindness to the Jews--what an uplifting story!

Anyway, enough of a book review here. :) Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips