I must confess... I've run the road to crazy

Today's confession brought to you by
adrenaline
endorphins
and pain.

Yes, I went running this morning for the first time in ages.

During my slow mile and a half, everything hurt from my ankles to my shoulders. My lungs burned. My side ached with the vengeance of the last 8 sedentary weeks.

But it felt great.

Yup, runners are crazy.

But we've got the toned calves to back it up.

:)

If you'd like to join the ranks of crazy runners with awesome calves, you can start today. Or tomorrow. But don't wait too long -- tomorrow marks 6 weeks until Halloween weekend, and there are 5K (3.1 miles) and 10K (6.2 miles) races all over the country that weekend. I'll be running this one:
Did I mention I'll be running in costume? Yup, that's the benefit (or detriment, depending on your personal feelings) of running a Halloween race. Most encourage costumes.

Highway to Hale is a benefit race for our local semi-pro theater. (Can I apply the term semi-pro to theater? or is it just reserved for football?) Honestly, though, as much as we love Hale Center Theater and are happy to support them... we're running this race for the swag. (Swag is the free stuff they give you for running the race.)

Tickets are normally around $20 each for their shows (and worth it!), but for a $20 5K race registration, you'll receive two tickets to the first show of the 2011 season. 10K participants (like my husband and I) receive an extra two tickets. Plus we get the awesome shirt and whatever other swag they put in the bag.

So, if you're in Utah and around Orem, come run! If you're somewhere else, there's still time to find a race in your area. Six weeks is plenty of time to train for your first 5K. (And if you're not into running for one reason or another, most 5Ks allow participants to walk, too.)

Races aren't always listed online because the online listing has to come from the race director and there are only, oh, a hundred different online sites to think about listing your race with. But, online can be a good place to start. Try one of these national sites or just google "5k race {your area here}" to find more local sites and races.
Worried about getting started? Start by reading this Couch Potato to 5K article. That article gives you the basic idea of what you'll be doing for the next 6 weeks to train. If you're like me and want a schedule, one that looks like a calendar and tells you exactly how far or how long to run that day, try this Beginning Trainer Guide for 6 Weeks to a 5K from Fitness magazine or this Couch to 5K Guide from Runner's Training Guide. If you have an iPod, there are apps to help you train as well, ranging from free to $5.

Running isn't always easy, but, for me, it's always worth it. I feel better when I run (even when feeling better means sore muscles) because I know I'm actively involved in my own health. When I started running, that was my only motivation. But I kept running and about 6 weeks later, I was hooked. Somehow, the crazy runner thing got into my veins. My husband noticed too... he likes my new runner's calves. :)

As you first start training, running is physical. Beginning is about getting your body in shape to do what you want it to do. After a few weeks, running then becomes mental. Continuing is about your brain keeping your body going because I know I can do this or at least I want to do this.

And you can do it.

If you want to. ;)

Happy running!

Remember, you should always check with your health care professional before starting any new physical fitness plan. And, running shouldn't actually hurt. Real pain (not just the aches and burning I mentioned above) is a reason to stop and rest. 

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Okay, that race sounds fantastic - you might just see us there!

Tricia said...

I'm pretty sure that starting to run again was one of my new years resolutions. Unfortunately it is one of the many that has yet to be realized. I used to run, but sadly my calves aren't what they used to be. I'm sure that your 10K will be great. Happy training.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips