Pink or Blue: baby gender predictions

Yes, it is time to play...

pink ... or ... blue?
photo credit
I mentioned last week that we are expecting a new little one at the end of the summer. Thanks for all your congratulations and sweet thoughts! We go in for our big anatomy check ultrasound next week, so get your baby predictions in!

Why? Because it's fun. And because you've got a 50-50 chance of being right, so long as you stick to known species.

Oh, and because one randomly drawn guesser (correct or incorrect) will win the pair of earrings that I don't keep to indicate the gender of this upcoming child:
pink... or.... blue
the pink is slightly more toward purple than this shows
and the blue is slightly less toward purple than this shows :)

Oh, and I WILL most definitely ship internationally. Because I think it's totally awesome that you read my blog from another country and perhaps even another continent (Hello Tera and Amy and Vanessa!)

A quick note about the use of gender: using gender to refer to male or female is, in my opinion, the wimpy way to say sex because you're afraid of saying s-e-x. But, I will use gender when necessary because I'm not really sure what Blogger will think of me using the S word repeatedly. I would hate to be flagged as an adult-content blogger! :)

As you make your gender predictions, here is some potentially useful or useless information:

This is baby #2. Baby #1 is a boy. This pregnancy has been, thus far, very much like pregnancy #1 -- I haven't been sick a day so far (knock on wood), and I crave lots of sweets. And sleep. Nothing much else to report. I'm pretty darn lucky that way.

Updated to add some pictures of me and my bump for Amy to make a more informed guess :)
The smile is in response to my husband's "Aren't you going to smile?"
Yes, I do have that much skin on my neck, apparently :)
Oh, and a top view and close-up side view.

According to the Chinese gender chart: girl

Old wives say that...
extra weight around my hips and rear (delightful!) = girl
leg hair growing at the same rate as pre-pregnancy = girl
carrying low = boy
my pillow facing south = girl
(my main pillow for my head faces west, but my belly-support pillow most often faces south)
feet no colder now than pre-pregnancy = girl
my preference to the non-heel slices of bread = girl
my skinny husband NOT gaining weight along with me = girl
my mother has graying hair (and looks great!) = boy
no morning sickness in early pregnancy = boy
looking "particularly good" during pregnancy = boy
(because girls steal their mothers' beauty)
dramatic chest development during pregnancy = girl
the sum of the mother's age at conception and the number of the month of conception is an odd number = girl
dull yellow urine (gross!) = girl
craving sweets = girl
no nose flattening during pregnancy = girl
craving fruit = girl
baby's heart rate above 140 beats per minute = girl
craving and drinking (way) more orange juice = girl
baby kicks on the right = boy

So, according to the Chinese and the old wives together:
25% chance of a boy
75% chance of a girl

which is only slightly different from Mother Nature's statistics of
50% chance of a boy
50% chance of a girl

:)

Mama's intuition says girl
Daddy's guess is boy
("just so that if it IS a boy he's got some cheers!")

Pudge says... 
 
well, he's 18 months old and generally clueless about this baby, so he doesn't have a guess. And either way, he'd probably be happier with a puppy. Or a duck. :)

So, enter your predictions in the comments (by the afternoon of Tuesday, April 12)! And get excited because, boy or girl, we're halfway* to having a BABY!

*Halfway, yes, technically, at 20 weeks. But that is kind of a lie because for the first 4 weeks you don't know you're pregnant and the last 4 weeks stretch out to be about a year. I think a good halfway point is around 26 weeks, personally -- I'd rather "peak" toward the end than the beginning. :)

34 comments:

Megan Harmeyer said...

OMGosh! How did I miss that announcement?! *sigh* I hope it's a boy - having two myself, I can tell you it's so much easier having two of the same! Even though I *wanted* a girl with #2, I'm pretty happy with the little Mason that I got. CONGRATS!!

Brandy@YDK said...

that's so freaking exciting. yay for you. i think i totally bypassed the announcement too. i suck.

i'm guessing girl just because next time I want a girl. lol.

Damaris said...

So exciting. I'm going to guess girl for no good reason.

Oh, and I don't have pierced ears, so as cute as those earring are perhaps I should not be in the drawing... :(

Unknown said...

Brandy and Megan, I was sneaky and buried the announcement in another post. :)

Damaris, You should definitely be in the drawing, and if you win, I will custom-make you a non-earring something or other. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm going with girl. Just because girl pregnancies are awesome right now. :)

Ann Martin said...

Ooohh! I missed your announcement, so let me squeal with happiness for you right here, right now instead. :) Babies are the BEST, boy or girl!

Meredin said...

I'm guessing girl. Just because I knew Emily was a girl before our ultrasound. I think mom's really do know.

Tera said...

I love you! And I say you are having a BOY.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing boy - which was my original guess from my own pregnancy but now I'm not sure of myself (that is about my own pregnancy - if that makes sense). Also too many people are having girls so the universe needs to even it out with more boys.

Amy DM said...

I'm gonna go with girl (though I wish I could see your belly to predict) since I wanna be on your good side. :)

Tanya Murray said...

I'm going with a girl....
Hmm...you know what this means...you'll get all your spring cleaning done and then at the end of summer, you'll nest and do it again!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I'm going to say boy...although I kinda think it's a girl, but I like living on the edge! :) So happy for ya!!

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

Oh my gosh Lu! You crack me up!

I think it will be whichever you don't have a name picked out for yet;)

Okay, so my official guess is GIRL.

Calista B Smith said...

Girl! Girl! Girl! So happy for you...this is the best time of the pregnancy!

Debra Hawkins said...

You already know what I think. :)

Toria said...

I'm going with girl, solely because I had a boy followed by a girl and there was no difference at all between the pregnancies at the beginning. But regardless, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Carly said...

i totally missed that announcement! congrats! i say BOY!

Heather said...

I say girl. Just because I think everyone should have one :)

Leslee said...

Everybody I know is having a boy right now...so I want you to be the trend breaker with a GIRL!! Either way I will be an extremely thrilled aunt that will shower said baby with many gifts :)

Tiffany said...

Congrats! I say boy because I love having 2 boys and think everyone should get to enjoy it like me!!

Deepthi said...

Congratulations and All te best!!!
According to me all guess work wouldnt work..... at least it didnt work for me.... Everyone told me you are behaving like this ... looking like this... so you will have a boy blah blah.... but my instinct was... of course girl.....
and I have a beautiful girl of nearly 7(this june)years!!!! So if your intution says its a girl then its a girl...
BTW I love your blog and the info u share through ur blog...

Deepthi said...

Congratulations and All te best!!!
According to me all guess work wouldnt work..... at least it didnt work for me.... Everyone told me you are behaving like this ... looking like this... so you will have a boy blah blah.... but my instinct was... of course girl.....
and I have a beautiful girl of nearly 7(this june)years!!!! So if your intution says its a girl then its a girl...
BTW I love your blog and the info u share through ur blog...

Katie Olthoff said...

Woohoo! Congrats! I vote girl.

Dusty said...

GIRL!!!!

Amy DM said...

Ok, I'm sticking with my prediction of girl. I think the belly is low and kinda spread out.

How long till we find out?? Here's hoping the time flies by at just the right speed.

Elisha said...

I love your blog you have a cute way of writing! I'm bran new to your blog and can't wait to read more of your going on's!! and my thought would be Girl only because I've had three children and the Chinesse calender was correct for each one of them...

Nick and Keira said...

You are so stinkin' cute. I love everything about this post--it's so YOU! (I guess that's a round-about way of saying how much I love your awesome writing and personality!).

I trust your intuition. Girl! (I hope you do, too, because it's just more fun--lots of fun crafts to dress girls in!)

Danae said...

Love the break-down! I never had much luck guessing on mine, but you get what you get! I agree with you about 20 weeks not really being half way, though. I remember with my 3rd, the doctor telling me I was half-way done, and responding that I had been through this before, and I knew that the hard half was still coming. I think the last month stretching into a year is about right! I vote girl, because baby girls are SO much fun (I have 3 girls and 2 boys, so I can speak from experience!), but good luck either way!

Bridget said...

Hmmmm, I'm going with girl. I never can tell when I'm pregnant myself, but it's always fun to guess!

stephanie said...

I'm a new follower and wanted to say congrats! I'm thinking it's a boy :)

Heather said...

I say it will be a girl, just because. :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I say boy because of no morning sickness in early pregnancy. I puked a million times with both of my girls. Congrats on being halfway there!!!

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

I love your bump! You are such a cute preggo:)

Andi said...

Okay...I feel awful. Somehow I have missed the fact that you are expecting and had to go back after seeing the giveaway winner post to catch up! So...CONGRATS!!! Girls are fun! Wishing you nothing but the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips