Toffee Apple Dip


Warning: even though you eat it with apples (or strawberries or other fruit)... this dip is not good for you. It is fats and sugars working together to reach the pinnacle of simple deliciousness.

But all warnings aside... this dip is totally worth it! You can use fat free/reduced fat cream cheese and reduce the amount of sugar to help lower the calorie content, without affecting the taste or texture. This is my go-to party dip because it is quick to put together and it's popular enough that I never end up bringing any home :)

In a medium bowl, mix
  • 1 - 8 oz block of (softened) cream cheese
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Once the cream cheese and sugars are mixed well, stir in half a bag of toffee bits (approximately 1 cup -- I use Heath bits, found by the chocolate chips on the baking aisle).

I love to serve this dip with a variety of sweet and tart apples for variety, but Debra loves it with strawberries. I'm pretty sure it makes every fruit better :) To keep the cut fruit from going brown before I serve it or throughout the party, I put a little bit of lemon juice on them. This does make the fruit taste a little lemony (which I don't mind at all) but for the next party, I'm going to try one of these four ideas from The Yummy Life to preserve them without messing with the flavor. 

-Lorene

2 comments:

Aimee @ Like Mother Like Daughter said...

looks yummy and easy! I'll have to make this for the next event I host!

Bridget said...

I had something like this at a party last year and LOVED it. Thanks for the deliciousness!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips