Pin Test: Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars


I am not a great cook. Not an accomplished baker. (My butchering and candlestick making skills also leave something to be desired. No rub-a-dub-dubbing here.) So when I'm looking to try out a recipe, I don't take on anything too risky. No uncommon ingredients, no fancy techniques.

And yet somehow, even with the simplest recipes, I manage to foul something up. It's a special talent I have.

These Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars from Tried and Tried Again are simple enough. I even followed the directions exactly. (Crazy substitutions and "winging it" are my prime methods of fouling things up.)

But somehow, my chocolate frosting... was not chocolatey. Just sugary. I am blaming the fact that my cocoa was older than my marriage (6 years... that's how much I bake from scratch...). Thankfully, however, the lack of chocolatey goodness was quickly remedied by a quick layer of melted chocolate chips on top. And, for the first time EVER, I did not burn the chocolate as I melted it! Baby steps. :)


Even with this peculiar double-frosting layer, these peanut butter bars were ah-MAH-zing. Every bit like every wonderful grade school memory, minus the sweet lunch lady in the hairnet and the helping of mushy green beans.

Reading through the comments on the recipe, no one else seems to have had the same frosting trouble. So, chalk it up to my special set of culinary skills, and head on over to Tried and Tried Again for the recipe.

Have a happy day,
Lorene

1 comment:

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

You are hilarious. I've been eying this recipe for a while. I'll have to give it a go. :)
xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips