Housewife MacGyver in Real Life

Hello friends! I'm just popping in to tell you that, for the month of December... I'll only be popping in every once in a while. I've got some posts scheduled to review our year of Housewife MacGyver -- and add some new things I've found throughout the year! -- and a couple of places I'll be guesting, but other than that, I have very little planned blog-wise.

Why?

Because I'm going to take a few weeks to enjoy life and the holiday and my family, to try to practice what I (along with my fantastic guests) have been preaching all year -- becoming self-reliant and managing resources. Managing my life and my very important jobs as a wife and mother and all-around good person.

I've been taking baby steps all year long (and I hope you have been, too), but since having my baby girl in August, I have been less and less effective at keeping up. Now that she's 3 months old (can you believe it?), my personally allotted "grace" period is over and I'm working on getting my life back to the semi-chaos I love instead of the complete chaos that drives every member of my household a little crazy.

One big step for me in moving toward less chaos is (drum roll please...) spending less time online. I love all the goodies and deals and friends I find online, but I have developed a tendency to spend waaaay too much time online. So, for December, I'm cutting waaaay back on my online time -- mostly my surfing time. I'll still do my very best to come by and visit your blogs, friends! And I'll be back in moderation in January for certain, because I love my blogging friends too much to leave forever. :)

Yesterday I had a mini Housewife MacGyver moment. And it felt fantastic! I was up early enough that I got in a 3 mile run before my husband left for work. I watched a friend's little girl while she attended the temple. I had dinner planned and started early enough in the day that I was able to make a double batch to take to a friend who has been struggling. And in between, I played with my son and laughed with my daughter and read books and, yes, has some online time (I'm going for moderation, not completely hiding under a rock :)

As I went to bed last night, I felt so amazing about my day, and myself. Yes, there were still dirty dishes in my sink and toys scattered around and laundry to be folded. But, for the first time in a long while, I felt fulfilled. I felt happy about what I had done that day and ready to take on another day and give it my all, not frustrated with the state of my life. 



So, for the month of December, I'm aiming for more days like yesterday (but including some crafting, too :). Today has been pretty good so far. But while my children are sleeping, my to-do list is calling to me, and I'm going to answer it before I give in to my gut reaction and tell it to be quiet and let me pin some more.

Happy December :)

(pssst... you can also hop on over to Housewife Eclectic today to see how I'll be changing my regular Wednesdays on the Web posts there in the coming year)

5 comments:

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

love it, love it, love it! This is something I think we all could use. A bit of moderation and focus with our time. I'm still trying to find the balance of crazy that works for me and my family- but I have hope it can be done. Glad to hear you're not leaving forever though. :)
xoxo,
Amy

Susan said...

I love this blog post. The reality check of having a child and realizing you can't do it all, and shouldn't try, and the moderation in all things is best. It is very fulfilling as a mother to have those ultra successful days thrown in there to realize we are doing OK. Thanks for sharing.

Janny said...

Thanks for this Lorene! I too spend way too much time online. I think it's great that you know where to draw the line and make room for other blessings in your life. Thanks for the reminder! ALSO! You won the Picture Frame Giveaway over at Que Linda! And I can't see your email on your profile for some reason. So email me when you get a chance. quelindacrafts@gmail.com

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I am in total agreement with everything you said. I am trying to figure out how to blog, take care of my family and home, and not go crazy. It's a difficult task. You're not alone :)

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I've had very similar experiences this week...feels great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips