Housewife MacGyver: Gaining and Bearing Testimony {The Book of Mormon}

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My friend, Jocelyn, is hosting a fantastic segment right now, called the Book of Mormon Forum wherein members of the LDS church share their belief in and testimonies of the Book of Mormon and answer questions about the book.

The Book of Mormon Forum

I debated about including my testimony of the Book of Mormon here as part of the Housewife MacGyver series. How does my personal testimony of this sacred book relate to the aims of Housewife MacGyver, of helping each person reading to improve his/her relationship with God? I thought. And then the answer came: Because each individual's testimony comes through developing a relationship with God. Regardless of belief, testimony -- that which inspires action because of belief -- must come from a supreme being, whom I call God.

As a member of the LDS Church -- a Mormon -- I believe that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God in the same manner that as I know that the Bible is the word of God -- because I have acted on their teachings and prayed to know of their truth, and received powerful confirmation through the Spirit.

Both books of scripture declare that by their fruits ye shall know them:  
Even so every good tree bringeth forth agood bfruit; but a ccorrupt tree bringeth forth devil fruit.

A
good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Every
tree that bringeth not forth good afruit is bhewn down, and cast into the fire.

Wherefore
by their afruits ye shall know them.z
see Matthew 7:17-20, 3 Nephi 14:17-20

As I have read and acted upon the teachings of the Book of Mormon, the fruits of those teachings have been made apparent.



I struggle with daily scripture study. But as I study diligently and make the word of God a priority in my life, I see the fruits of that labor, the blessings of obedience to His words. 

Daily scripture study doesn't become any easier, but it becomes more meaningful. Daily life doesn't necessarily become easier, but it becomes less overwhelming as my ability to cope is increased, as I have His help in my trials. 

When I read the Book of Mormon, I find peace amidst the chaos of everyday life. I find that there is more to enjoy in life, because I am noticing the hand of God in my life, not because it wasn't there before. I find that there is more joy, more calm, more love, and more fun in our home when we are studying the Book of Mormon regularly and applying its teachings.

As we read, we learn of faith in Jesus Christ, and of the protection that faith brings to us. We learn of love and of service. We learn of prayer, of repentance and forgiveness through the atonement of Christ.

As we act upon these teachings, we become more like our Savior Jesus Christ -- more loving, more patient, more selfless, and more dedicated to doing the work of our Father in Heaven.  In short, as we follow the teachings of Christ, as we do good, we become good.

Every good tree bringeth forth good fruit. 

If you have questions about the Book of Mormon or my beliefs as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, please leave a comment or email me at iamjustlu@gmail.com. If you're interested in receiving a complimentary copy of the Book of Mormon to read for yourself, I would love to send one your way, along with my testimony and a special copy of The Ensign magazine explaining the origins of the Book of Mormon.


Learn more about the Book of Mormon here at mormon.org.

Learn more about this Housewife MacGyver segment here and the entire Housewife MacGyver series here.  

Read more testimonies of the Book of Mormon through the blog-hop:


1 comment:

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Love this post Lu! Thanks for sharing such a thoughtful and earnest testimony! It made my day.
xoxo,
Amy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips