St. Patrick's Day Button Rainbow


I think this is the most on-time I've ever been for a holiday craft! My Christmas craft never really got started, and my Valentine's project is half-finished in a box somewhere... so even though it might be technically kind of late (day-of...) -- woohoo! I have some holiday decor. :)

I was inspired by this printable from Funky Polkadot Giraffe. I don't do printables very often because I don't have a color printer. Correction: I have a color printer but am too cheap to buy the color cartridges. :)

So I made the real-life version. Total cost: $1.50. Love that. :)

I purchased one package of buttons at Joann's, on sale, that had enough red, orange, yellow, and green buttons (it said 130 buttons) and then added the blue and purple buttons I had left over from the felt game board.

The buttons are each sewn on... but only after I used tacky glue to hold them to the backing fabric. :) They would have held up with just the glue, but I like the look of the stitched buttons. 

The rest of the materials are from my stash. The cloud is just two layers of fabric and two layers of quilt batting scraps from my son's baby quilt, sewed right sides together and turned and then embroidered. The batting was supposed to be between the two layers of fabric but... that's a hazard of sewing late at night... It's a cloud (in case you couldn't see that...), so I actually really like the fluffy edges. :)


And the gold coins are -- this is my favorite part -- BRADS! Just plain ol' office brads. I was SO happy when I thought of it. :)

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!


And I have another fun project to share tomorrow. And another one next week. I'm on a roll. I'm definitely out of the crafting funk -- woohoo! Oh, and more great Housewife Macgyver stuff coming up, too!

9 comments:

Brandy@YDK said...

SO TOTALLY CUTE!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Oh I JUST LOVE IT!!!

Megan Harmeyer said...

You are one crafty lady! I have a bunch of UFOs laying around various places in the house. This is super cute!

Nick and Keira said...

Aw! I love it!

And ... brads?? Hilarious! You are so resourceful! I'm thinking I want to make this... :)

Katie Olthoff said...

The brads are genius! I saw that printable and loved it, too, but I think yours is better!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is so cute, Lorene. The brads are so clever... good thinking! I love all the buttons.

Debra Hawkins said...

I LOVE all the buttons! Seriously cute and the little cloud maybe my favorite part. I would also like to say I am proud you kept the right order minus one.

Andi said...

Lu!!! this is SO cute! The brads are genius!! love! love! love!!

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

I love it Lu! I loved the printable, but I love the dimension that the real buttons give.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips