Skinny-Hip to Maternity Skirt Refashion

The fabulous Gwen of Gwenny Penny is part of a great new "thing" -- Point of View: a creative collaboration. The idea is that the six Point of View members each share their take on each month's theme and host a linky party where all the rest of us can also share our takes on the same theme. I love seeing how different creative minds work!

This month's theme is skirts, so that was the kickstart that I needed to finally complete this project that I've had sitting in my messy craft closet for well over 6 months:


I started with this cute skirt that I've had since high school (and probably haven't ironed since then either, judging from the wrinkles...):

High school really wasn't long ago on the calendar, but as far as changing body types go -- after college and a baby -- it may as well have been a different lifetime, you know?

I held out hope that I'd be able to wear this skirt again because I loved it so much. I gave up hope when this past summer, at the fittest I've ever been in my LIFE... it still didn't fit. More accurately: it fit in the waist, but not in the hips.

Hmm... apparently this is why (most) moms can't shop in the juniors section any more -- we actually have HIPS. I have no problem with my mom-body (at least most days ;) and its accompanying hips, so I didn't want to be the mom-in-denial who was still trying to squeeze into the skinny-hip skirt. But I also didn't want to let go of the skirt because it is my favorite spring and summer skirt.

So, I dismantled the skirt

made and inserted box-pleated panels 

and added a nice (tapered) knit waistband

to accommodate the growing bump that is housing this little one:

And don't worry... you won't see this little floating baby thing probably ever again because I think this widget is CREEPY. Did you see you can even tickle the baby? And it laughs? Creepy.
The finished skirt fits great and will be fantastic to wear all warm-weather-season long!

I have many plans for adding similar box-pleats to a couple other skirts that I'd love to have fit my hips again, and for the next five months in particular. :)

And, speaking of box-pleats, my friend Aubrielle from Black Persephone just posted an awesome tutorial for this super cute (and easy) box-pleat top:

Don't you just LOVE it? The top is part of her El Cheapo event where she has shared these awesome under $5 crafts:
Personalized photo frame
Mitten monster
Natural green wreath
Reusable gingerbread house
A true SCRAP book
Microwave birthday brownies

And, to finish it out, she's giving away TWO of the crafts to two randomly chosen readers -- just pop on over and tell her which is your favorite!

9 comments:

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

OK, I love your skirt... awesome refashion, but I think we need to discuss the bomb you just dropped in this post... Congratulations!!!

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

Congratulations Lu!!!! I am so happy for you and I love your new preggo skirt:)

Damaris said...

I am so impressed with your sewing skills. The 'new' skirt is really cute!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Say WHAT???? Congratulations on the baby!!!!! Sneaky! :)

Moments and Impressions said...

oh you made a skirt and a baby! I think the baby might be a little more impressive!

Tricia said...

The skirt looks great. I'm very impressed. Can I just say, that I was suspecting...just because of a couple of the responses on some of my recent maternity projects.
I'm very excited for you. Congratulations.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

WOW, that is a great idea!

Amy DM said...

Oh, congratulations!

Aubrielle said...

YOU'RE PREGNANT??? THAT'S GREAT!!!! And thanks for the shout out. :) it made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips