Restaurant Ripoff: (Smothered) Sweet Pork Burritos

First off, I apologize for the lack of pictures in this post. Apparently, I've never bothered to document the making of the sweet pork burritos. I am okay with this because the burritos don't exactly look like works of art when they are finished. But boy do they taste yummy!

I love Costa Vida's Sweet Pork burritos. I could eat them every day of my life and never get sick of them. This sweet pork satiates my cravings without taking away from the bliss that is the Costa Vida Smothered Sweet Pork Burrito. This is perfect for us, because, as my sister said, "If it was a perfect replica, where would we eat when we go out?" :)

I first based my recipe on this recipe and then altered it from there. I don't make the pico de gallo, so if you want that recipe, you'll have to visit there. :)

Sweet Pork
Pork roast (a 4-5 lb roast makes twice as much sweet pork as we will use for one pan of burritos, so I freeze half of the pork after step 2)
1 cup brown sugar
6-8 oz (half a jar) salsa (medium is best for our tastes)
  1. Place the pork roast in your slow cooker on low for 6 hours or until done. 
  2. Shred the pork and save the juice. [I either do this the day before I want to have the burritos or the day that I get the roast. The cooked and shredded pork and its juices can easily be stored in the freezer until you're ready to use it.]
  3. In the slow cooker, combine the shredded pork with the brown sugar and salsa and about 1/4 cup of the pork juices. [If your salsa has extra large chunks, you might want to run it through a food processor first.]
  4. Cook on low for 3-5 hours or until the pork seems properly infused with the sweetness and heat. [I usually stir once after about 2 hours and taste it to see if I want to add more brown sugar because I like my pork *super* sweet.)
Cilantro Lime Rice
1/4 to 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
4 limes' juice (or appx 1/8 cup lime juice)
1 cup rice
2 cups water (or however much your rice cooker requires or you require to make the rice like you want)
  1. Finely chop the cilantro. {Tip: Twist the bunch of cilantro together, like a rope, and then chop it.}
  2. In a pan or your rice cooker, combine rice, water, lime juice, and cilantro.
  3. Cook until the rice is done.
Assemble the burritos
We make our burritos enchilada-style, covered in sauce in a pan that goes in to the oven. Gather your...
Sweet pork
Cilantro lime rice
Black or pinto beans, cooked
Shredded cheese
Green enchilada sauce (14 oz can or larger)
Tortillas (the larger the better)
  1. Fill each of your tortillas with small amounts of sweet pork, cilantro lime rice, and beans. You can also add some cheese and enchilada sauce to the inside of the burrito before you roll it if you'd like. 
  2. Roll each burrito and place it in a glass baking dish. 
  3. Slowly pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the rolled burritos, making sure that the sauce covers all of the tortilla. (You don't want crusty, dried-out tortilla once you take them out of the oven. Yuck!)
  4. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the burritos.
  5. Cover with aluminum foil.*
  6. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
*A huge gold star to anyone who can tell me how to prevent the melted cheese sticking to the aluminum foil covering. Please?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips