Point of View: Pinterest | Intersecting Circle Art

So, today is the Point of View reveal! Don't know what Point of View is? You're missing out! POV is a monthly themed creative collaboration between a handful of "regulars", one guest (that's me, this month!), and, if you'd like, you. Each creative blogger shares a project based on a theme, and then anyone can link up a project relating to their view of that theme. Think of it as one of those craft competitions, minus the competition. :)

I'm so excited to be part of Point of View and share with you one of my *favorite* projects EVER. Our theme this month is Pinterest. If you've made something inspired by a pin, we want to see! (Scroll down to link up.) We have some great projects to share this month:


Keep reading to get the scoop on my Pinterest-inspired project (and link up your own), and please take a minute to check out the other fantastic projects by these amazing ladies:

Ashlee from I'm Topsy Turvy
Gwen from Gwenny Penny

My project this month is this gorgeous (if I do say so myself) intersecting circle art:

In true Pinterest and knock-off fashion, this project is inspired by this paint chip intersecting circle art by Two Girls Being Crafty, which was inspired by a piece from World Market.
World Market: $129 | Two Girls $3 | just Lu $17*

*only because I inadvertently grabbed the wrong type of wood (the $15 expensive-ish type)

The tutorial was one of my first pinned projects. I started it back in October, and being a guest here for POV gave me the proper motivation to get it all finished up.

Those Two Girls have done a great job with the tutorial, I followed it closely and made two separate pieces, mounted on wood planks instead of on a canvas.

I am completely in love with the depth that the wood background gives to the pieces. I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain and it's my new favorite (I'm planning to use it for this shelf next). I bought a 3-foot 1x12 board and had them cut it in half for me at the hardware store, so each plank measures 1x12x18 inches... almost. I will never understand why wood dimensions aren't actually the same as their names.

Anyway, after pulling out my hair figuring out the common denominator of 11.5 and 18 (give or take a 1/4 inch), I used Photoshop to help me draw a circle that was exactly the crazy-right size, and I created my football-ish template from there. (This won't make any sense until you read the tutorial over at Two Girls Being Crafty :)

After hours of tracing and cutting, I adhered each piece semi-permanently to the plank using double-stick tape, so that I could reposition the pieces as needed to make sure that they were arranged how I would like and fit properly to reach the edges of the planks. Once the pieces were where I wanted them, I used a gluestick to adhere each piece permanently, and then sealed the whole shebang (or, I guess, both shebangs) with a matte spray sealant (Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish). The tutorial uses ModPodge, but I do not have a good track record with ModPodge as a sealant for paper that needs to stay flat, so spray was the way to go!

I added a sawtooth hanger to the back of each plank, and up on the wall they went! They brighten my entryway, and I'm sure it will be even better once I choose a family picture to enlarge and hang in between them like this:
one of my favorite photos ever!

or maybe like this:
our Christmas card photo... for the cards we never sent :)

Currently it actually looks like this:
that blue painter's tape is class-y, right?

Gotta love Photoshop for its abilities to twist reality :)

Now, what have you been pinning? Come link up your Pinterest-inspired projects!



12 comments:

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

I love it Lorene! I love the colors- and that's some complicated mathematics going on there- way to crunch those numbers. ;) Thank you so much for being part of Point of View this month- you are awesome!!
xoxo,
Amy

Jonie Marie said...

I am loving the colors you used! What a fun project. I think my brain might have exploded trying to figure it all out :) Thank you so much for being the guest this month on POV!
Jonie

Katie Olthoff said...

I lOVE this framing the photos. But you lost me at "hours of cutting and tracing." No way I have patience for that! :)

Ashlee Marie said...

Thanks for being our guest! I love the intersecting circles, it's one of my favorite quilt patterns, but I don't quite, this art version is GORGEOUS! and I think I might have to do it too! Thanks!

Nick and Keira said...

Looks FANTASTIC!! I love the wood background. It currently makes me scoff at my flimsy white background.

Might I also add that you have great photoshop skills! I would have never known there was blue tape... :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is amazing, Lorene! I love that you used a stained wood background. It's perfect! And the paper colors are gorgeous. Thank you so much for joining us for POV this month!

Leanne said...

I love your intersecting circle art especially the dark stained wood as the backdrop. You did a beautiful job. Thanks for being part of POV this month.

Melissa @ A Dozen Years Later said...

I've been wanting to do this project for awhile. I love your interpretation of it!!!

Andi said...

I love your version the best! The stain is gorgeous! And I totally am with you when it comes to mod podge, it never works well for me.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Hi Lorene!!!! Long time, no see! :) Just thought I'd swing by and pay you a little visit...Looks like your family is doing well and my, my, my, you've got a beautiful little girl there! Sorry for being MIA this summer!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! Looks beautiful to see all those colours and prints together.

Unknown said...

Hi Lorene,

Do you think it would work to put the paper cut outs on a painted canvas and if so - what adhesive would you use? Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips