A call for help and inspiration

The Mr has been out of school for a week and we've been having so much fun that the time just flew and now I sit here on Saturday night having given you (nearly) nothing new this week (unless you stopped by my Wednesday post at Housewife Eclectic, in which case, thanks!). I hope you are all having equally fun (and busy) summers so far.

Aside from having so much fun, part of this nothing-newness is borne from a bit of a crafting block. I have sworn (both to myself and the Mr) that I will finish my existing projects and use the crafting materials I have been saving (to recycle) before I will begin new projects. So... I need your help. What can I do with these things?
  • Baby food jars. Lots. And lots. Our recycling program here won't accept glass, so I feel the need to "recycle" it myself. :)
  • Yogurt and sour cream plastic containers. Some with lids, some without.
  • An oatmeal canister.
  • Various sized glass jars (salsa, pickles, etc). See above note about recycling program.
  • Cereal boxes.
  • Phone books. Three of them...
So, I'm well on my way to becoming the crazy hoarder lady who is killed by a stack of falling newspapers from 1976 with only her cats to mourn her death (because my husband will probably disown me if I save any more "materials" without very specific projects in mind). Please help me save myself from this fate.

7 comments:

Dusty said...

I was actually thinking about all your baby food jars when I was over there the other day. I had the idea (since you are so crafty) that you could use them to store your craft supplies. Maybe pins in one jar, buttons in another. You could cover the lid with cute fabric and use them for just about anything! Or fill them with something sweet and give them away as gifts! Just a thought. :)

Tera said...

check out this link to see my favorite baby-food-jar-craft idea:
http://recycledcrafts.craftgossip.com/halloween-uses-for-baby-food-jars/2008/10/19/

Tera said...

check out this link to see my favorite baby-food-jar-craft idea:
http://recycledcrafts.craftgossip.com/halloween-uses-for-baby-food-jars/2008/10/19/

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

I'm right there with you. I have a few cereal boxes, mason jars, tea tins that I'm trying to do something with . . . I have no idea what that something is yet.

The baby food jars would be perfect for spoon fudge. I've never done this before, but I have friends who make a little label that fits around the baby food jar, cover the lids with a label/paper/fabric and then make and put spoon fudge in it. Put a cute little spoon with it and it makes a fund little gift.

Here's a recipe for spoon fudge I've wanted to try.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Spoon-Fudge-111270

Rather than pour it into the pan at the end, you pour it into the little jars.

brittany michelle said...

okay so everyone and their baby seems to know what to do with baby food jars (ha ha), but i have an idea about the cereal boxes. cut them up into shapes and letters and mod podge some cute paper on them. use as decoration. or make bookmarks. or puppet-like toys. just a simple idea

Anonymous said...

ok, so this wouldn't necessarily use the bulk of your phone books, but i thought it was a fun idea to share...

http://shannonmakesstuff.blogspot.com/2010/06/phone-book-ballet-flats.html

i am actually thinking of making a pair using a map of a city (or, I'll dream big, faraway country!) i want to visit, as inspiration, to hopefully wear them there one day! I could actually create a whole shoe wardrobe for my travel dreams! =)

Nick and Keira said...

My friend makes journals or sketchbooks out of old office paper/school papers that you had to throw away because ONE thing in your paper was wrong: re-print!, and she uses the cardboard cereal boxes to give it a "cover". A great way to "recycle", and no need to buy expensive notebooks/sketchbooks. If you want to ask her how, let me know! They're easy, I hear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips